Friday, June 7, 2013

Moss Spring Wreath

Each season I like to add a bit of adornment to our front exterior entry. Usually this consists of a wreath, some plants and a new area mat.

This year I decided to make a moss wreath for spring and summer. I like the rustic and natural look of the moss. Last year I made a similar wreath out of fake moss that I bought at Michael's. I priced it again this year and it was way out of my budget so I thought why not collect the some real stuff ourselves - for free!



So, last weekend when we were out at the cabin, we gathered some moss and brought it home. Because we had been getting so much rain, the moss was soaked with water so I spread it out on the deck when the weather was better and let the sun do its thing.

The supplies I used for this wreath are:

Spray adhesive (note: last year I used a glue gun and found the synthetic moss didn't hold very well.)
Straw wreath form
Ribbon
Small nest with eggs
Small bird figurine







Because the moss was from the woods it had a bit of debris in it that I didn't want to include in my wreath such as leaves and twigs so I removed them from the moss.



Then I sprayed a section of moss and the equivalent size area on the wreath form. I the applied the moss to the wreath and held it there for a few seconds. I kept doing this until the wreath was covered with moss. Keep in mind the spray adhesive is quite strong smelling so I suggest doing this project in a well ventilated area or outside.





I then added the ribbon and the small figurines. Although the bird had a metal clip to aide with attaching it to the wreath, I still added a bit of spray adhesive to the base of it along with the nest to ensure it would stay in place. I then used scissors to trim the wreath up a bit because the moss was a little out of control.


Here is the finished project.


I am very pleased with the end result. I like how it adds a bit of seasonal interest to our front entry and best of all it was free! I simply used materials from last years wreath that I had purchased at Michael's.


Have you completed or are working on any seasonal crafts or upgrades this Spring and Summer?




No comments:

Post a Comment